Healthcare has been a dominant industry in Temple for much of the past century. Additionally, Baylor Scott & White (BS&W) from the time of its founding more than 100 years ago has been engaged in medical education and research. Beginning in the 1950's, BS&W recognized that in order for its' clinical services to enjoy an enhanced regional and national reputation of excellence, it would be necessary to expand efforts in both undergraduate and graduate education as well as biomedical research. The tireless efforts of a broad spectrum of community leaders ultimately led to the establishment of the Texas A&M University College of Medicine in the mid 1970's with the agreement that the final two years (clinical curriculum) of medical education would be delivered in Temple.
After several decades of educating young physicians to become preeminent in their chosen clinical field, leaders of the Temple campus realized that to become recognized as a leading academic health center they would need to 1) evolve to a full 4-year medical school campus, and 2) substantially increase the amount and scope of biomedical research on the Temple campus.
Following intensive negotiations with the Texas A&M University Board of Regents, agreement was reached in early 2006 to expand the undergraduate education program in Temple to include all four years of the curriculum leading to the MD degree, beginning in the fall of 2007. This decision promised to be transformational in terms of positioning Temple to become a major player alongside other prominent academic health centers in the state when competing for state and federal resources. Anticipating these developments, the partners individually and jointly invested substantial resources towards building a sound research infrastructure in Temple.
The net result has been an increase in NIH research funds flowing to the Temple Campus and creation of an environment that is expected to serve as a magnet for biomedical research and production entities that may consider relocating to the IH-35 Corridor of Central Texas.